Tips on How to Live with Dentures
Making the change to dentures
For those with missing teeth, dentures can help enhance your self-confidence and your life in general. Nevertheless, it may take a while before you get comfortable having your dentures on.
Below are some tips to make you more easily change and adapt to having dentures:
- Keep on wearing your dentures so that you can get used to them. In case of any discomfort visit your dentist to get your dentures adjusted.
- Practice eating while wearing your dentures. Below are some helpful tips:
- Consume tender foods
- Do not eat sticky or tough foods
- Break down food into tiny pieces
- Be careful as you bite and chew gently
- When chewing use both sides of the mouth to balance pressures
- Practice talking. At first you may experience difficulty uttering some words but with practice you will master your speech.
- Advice: Use a mirror to practice speaking and reading words out loud.
- Cleanse your dentures every day. Use a denture brush and cleaner.
- Remove your dentures at night when you go to sleep to allow your gums to relax.
Issues you may experience as a new denture wearer
As a new denture wearer you may experience some problems during the first few days. However you need not worry because the issues will disappear in no time. These issues include:
- Too much saliva
- Sore mouth gums or muscles
- Feeling as if your denture fit is large or loose–with time your mouth muscles and tongue will get used to the dentures and your denture will feel fine.
In case you are not comfortable or have concerns regarding your dentures you should get in touch with your local NoFrills Dental Practice. Your NoFrills dental team will adjust your dentures if and where necessary to ensure that you are comfortable.
Caring for your dentures
You need to practice proper oral care to ensure your dentures stay in good condition. It is also recommended that you visit your dentist regularly for dental examinations in order to maintain your oral health in good and clean condition.
Below are a few tips to assist you in caring for your denture at home:
- Before going to bed and before putting in your dentures, ensure that you brush your tongue, the roof of your mouth and also your gums.
- Ensure that you eat a healthy and balanced diet.
- Maintain the recommended dental routine for any remaining natural teeth to ensure your gums and teeth remain healthy.
- In case you lost all your natural teeth, you will have to visit your dentist regularly for dental check-ups and examination of your denture fit.
Your Dental Career Starts Here
Our Franchise Consultant Helpdesk
Or call — (+65) 6909-9798